Portland: Iluka Mineral Sands Facility Project
CORTEX RESOURCES Pty Ltd and Downer Engineering formed the Cortex -
Downer Joint Venture to design and construct a mineral sands receival,
storage and ship loading system for the Port of Portland, Victoria,
The ship loading berth is at a multi-purpose wharf requiring
retractable ship loading equipment to be positioned on the wharf only when
loading mineral sands. The design of the system includes for the Wharf
Conveyor and rubber tyred Ship-loader to be retracted and parked adjacent
to the operating berth when not in use.
The system includes:
- B-Double Truck receival system comprising:
- 50,000 tonne total capacity storage shed
- 5 x 10,000 tonne segregated Iluka Mineral Sands Facilitycompartments
- Shed is water proof and dust collected
- Mobile Reclaim Hopper:
- Hopper is rubber tyre mounted and steerable to 5 reclaim positions
- Hopper with Front End Loader access to both sides for dual FEL ops
- Hopper is complete with 1,500 tph Belt Feeder to Side Street Conveyor
- Conveyor Transfer System:
- 1,500 tph troughed belt Street Conveyor located adjacent to storage shed to transfer mineral sands to the Tunnel and Wharf conveyors
- 1,500 tph troughed belt Tunnel Conveyor to traverse under wharf roadway and elevate materials to the Wharf Shuttle Conveyor
- 1,500 tph x 200 M centres (approx) Wharf Shuttle Conveyor. The shuttle conveyor is wheel and track mounted to enable it to be shuttled by tractor into any position along the length of the rail to deliver product to the mobile Ship-loader. The Shuttle conveyor is complete with a fixed tripper at the discharge head end to elevate the point of discharge to suit the Ship-loader.
- Dust collection at all conveyor transfer points
- Belt weighing and sampling system for product quality control.portland shiploader
- Mobile Ship-loader:
- The Ship-loader has a troughed belt conveyor capacity to load continuously at 1,500 tph and is powered by an onboard electrical generator.
- The loader is self propelled and steerable via a hydraulically driven dolly wheel system. The rubber tyred tri-cycle wheel configuration enables the mobile loader assembly to be manoeuvred within its own length and suits the multi-purpose wharf restrictions and can be self-parked off site.
- The Loader is sized to suit the wharf and most bulk cargo ships up to Panamax size.